Sunday, December 21, 2014

Letters to Winter



Dear Winter,

It's been a while since we've last spoken, Winter. I can't say that I've been looking forward to seeing you again, but I did miss you on those hot Summer days. I missed being able to drink tea without sweating it out within minutes. I missed sweaters and blankets and boots. And now that you're here, I can wear and do all of these things.
Enough about me, how have you been? Today, the 21st of December, at 4:03 P.M., precisely, is your birthday. Today is the official first day of Winter, even though it's felt like Winter for a while here. Today is the start of my first real Winter. This Summer, I made the move from hot, sunny, Qatar (a country you've probably never heard of because of how tiny it is) to cold, beautiful Canada (the second largest country in the world.)
Before this year, I had never experienced snow in my life. Right now, I am sitting in my bedroom looking out to the park next to my house that is currently covered with a thin sheet of snow. Thankfully, it hasn't snowed in about a week, so the snow is melting.
You didn't have to bring a gift you know, although it is lovely. The last couple of weeks have been a bit more stressful than usual, and I did need a break. Your gift is similar to your sisters'. Summer brings the long summer break, Spring brings her break, and you bring yours. Although Autumn doesn't bring a gift quite like yours, I still love her.

It was nice to catch up. I'll talk to you again soon, Winter.


Love,
Farah

No comments:

Post a Comment